Longer only for indigenous people, quilombolas, agrarian reform settlers and farmersFriday July 7th, 2017
The Center’s Forest Code manifests its position contrary to the indistinct and successive extension of the deadline for the registration of rural properties in the Rural Environmental Registry (CAR). The extension will bring many negative effects the implementation of the Forest Code, especially on uneven rural properties in July 22, 2008.
The registration of rural property in the CAR until December 31, 2017, as a mandatory condition for joining the PRA must be maintained for medium and large farmers. indistinct and successive extension is:
- disrespect with more than 4.2 million rural owners and possessors, totaling over 412 million hectares, already registered in Sychar;
- an affront to the Brazilian society, to which the positive effects of implementation of the Law;
- tends to promote increased illegal logging;
- undertake international commitments, in particular relating to global warming;
- harms the image of the agricultural sector and Brazilian agricultural commodities in international markets;
- promotes the legalization of issues related to the Forest Code, generating legal uncertainty in the use of rural properties;
- prevents and postpones the implementation of incentives for regularization and environmental protection, as well as degraded areas recovery processes;
- in addition to strengthening the Brazilian inefficiency in implementing environmental legislation.
Failure to extend to large and medium producers will start to recover illegally open areas, has the potential to contain the advance of deforestation, enhance the credibility of the country against its international commitments and expand the legal stability to farmers who respect the law.
On the other hand, the Center advocates the extension of time, for once, only to small family farmers, indigenous peoples, Maroons, other peoples and traditional communities, the settlers of the agrarian reform and family farming, whose record must be done by the Power Public.
For the Forest Code to achieve its objectives, in addition to not indistinct and successive extension of the CAR, it is essential and urgent that the Government is committed to strive to: (i) validate the entries Rural Environmental already achieved; (Ii) establish terms of commitment to environmental regularization of rural properties; (Iii) monitor compliance with the law throughout the national territory; (Iv) the implementation of economic instruments for promoting the implementation of the Forest Code; and (v) effective support to registration of territories, land and property of indigenous peoples, Maroons, other peoples, traditional communities, agrarian reform settlers and small farmers.
The Center’s Forest Code and its members make available to the Government to find ways and solutions to strengthen and accelerate the registration process of small rural properties of family farming. However, manifest against the continuation indistinct and successive noting that the deadlines set in the Forest Code may be extended only once and for the benefit of those who depend on the Government to register.
Sign this letter:
Observatory Forest Code
Amazon Institute for Environmental Research – IPAM
Institute of Management and Forest Certification and Agricultural – Imaflora
Society for Wildlife Research and Environmental Education – SPVS
Association for Preservation of the Environment and Life – Apremavi
Friends of the Earth – Brazilian Amazon
Mining Association of Environmental Defense – Amda
Conservation International – Brazil
Socio-Environmental Institute – ISA
Environmentalist Group of Bahia – Gamba